- Morphology is a branch of botany which deals with the study of external form and structure of plants.
- The hormone present in coconut water is cytokinin.
- Chemotropism means plant’s growth in response to a chemical.
- I. R-8, Aswathy, Annapurna, Jaya, Rohini, Triveni, and Karthika are the hybrid varieties of rice.
- H-97 and H-165 are the hybrid varieties of Tapioca.
- Tomatoes originated in South America and are sometimes called ‘love apples ‘.It’s scientific name is Lycopersicon esulentum.
- Phloem is a conducting tissue in plants, which is meant for the conduction of food material.
- Xylem is a vascular tissue in plants, meant for the conduction of water and mineral salts.
- Auxin is plant hormone.
- Cellulose is natural polymer occurring in the walls of plant cells.
- Sclerenchyma is a dead mechanical tissue. It gives rigidity and strength to the plants body.
- Phototropism –Tendency of plants to grow towards the source of light.
- Geotropism –Tendency of plants grow in response to the stimulus of gravity.
- Hydrotropism-Tendency of plants to grow in response to the stimulus of water.
- Gregor Johann Mendel- (1822-1884) an Australian botanist and monk formulated the basic theory of heredity.
- Mitochondria are the Power-house of a cell.
- Eucalyptuses are the most common type of trees in Australia Australians refers to eucalyptus as ‘gum trees’.
- Red data book is a collection of endangered species of wild animals and plants.
- The largest living tree is a giant sequoia called “General Sherman”. It is 274 ft tall and 103 ft round its base.
- The development of the fruit without fertilization is called parthenocarpy. E.g. orange, grape, apple.
- Alkaloid present in tea is Theine.
- The name Bougainvillea comes from Louis Antoine de Bougainville, an admiral in the French Navy who discovered the plant in Brazil in 1768.
- Alkaloid present in coffee is Caffeine.
- Cotton is known as the ‘miracle hair’
- A plant with a single leaf –Amorphophallus
- A plant propagated by leaf –Bryophyllum
- Cotton fiber is made up of Cellulose.
- Cabbage is called the ‘pride of India’
- The oldest plant on earth is ferns.
- The plant kingdom is divided into four groups.
- Pollination effected by bats is called chiropteriphyly.
- Crescograph was invented by Jagadish Chandra Bose.
- Bribal Sahni is India’s well known Palaeobtanist.
- Carrots’ are beneficial in the treatment of eczema.
- Fruit tissues of the olive tree contaiains olive oil.
- Eucalyptus leaves produces eucalyptus oil.
- Most plant drugs are alkaloids.
- When a plant bears both male and female flowers, most plant drugs are alkaloids.
- The yellow pigment present in maize is zca xanthin.
Entomophily : pollinated by insects e.g. salvia, crotalaria, bougainvillea, lotus,
tube rose, roses
Anemophily : palliated by water e.g. maize, bamboo, pine,
Hydrophily : pollinated by water e.g.hydrilla, vallisneria, coconut.
Ornithopily : pollinated by birds e.g. silk cotton
Zoophily : pollinated by animals e.g. coral tree, silk cotton tree, raised, apple.